Saturday, April 25, 2009

Saturday Update - Fluid around lungs

I am back and Ryan is doing so-so. Basically, I left Montreal earlier as we recieved some scary news about Ryan last night. We had a real scare that he was not doing well and might not make it much longer, but it turns out it may not be as bad as we thought but we just don't know what to think.

Ryan has accumulated a lot of fluid around his lungs and in his lungs. His lower parts of his lungs are collapsed. He is not able to take full breaths. Basically, his albumin level was fairly low and they believe his body is having a hard time processing the fluids in his body so they are just accumulatin where they feel like it.

Looks like Ryan will have to have a CT scan on Monday and while they do this they will try to extract some fluid from his lungs. They would do this while he was sitting up but his back is still fractured and they cannot put his brace on because of the distended adbomen and scar. They do not want to put a chest drain in as they feel he would be too suseptible to infection.

We will see what happens, Ryan is in tough shape and the fight seems to be getting very hard for him (and us). He does not respond much at all anymore and his body is becoming very stiff. We try to move him as much as we can but it is hard with all of the tubes and lines going to him. PT/OT have done a little but not much at all. We asked today if there is even an order in for him or not as we have not seen them.

Basically, Ryan's body needs a break and if he does not get it soon we fear the worst. We honestly dont know how much more he can take. It is hard to keep watching him struggle and suffering.

16 comments:

  1. What you all are going through is unbearable. You are always in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this struggle. My love to you all
    Elizabeth Colman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not the news or update any of us wanted to hear.
    You have all had to endure what must be nothing short of emotional torture.
    Ryan has endured endless procedures and challenges. His strength and determination has amazed us all.
    With heavy but hopeful hearts, we await further updates from you.
    Prayers, hugs and love,
    Michael and Jan Teehan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for finding the strength to up date this, has heartbreaking as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are praying that Ryan will get the break he needs to start healing. We send our love and positive thoughts to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep praying...do not give up...God is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pray for Ryan and you family, my heart goes out to you and what you are all going through. I love you Loesje, you are in my thought everyday.

    Christine Burke

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike, Lou, and Cric,

    We love you guys so so much and are here for whatever you need whenever.

    Please tell Ryan that we are praying for him and that we all love him.

    Hannah, Jo Anne, and Tom

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear of the latest change in Ryan's condition. Our hearts go out to you....this must be so hard. You are in our prayers and hearts.
    Mary and Robbie Jarvis

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart hurts for you all. I can only imagine the pain of what you all are going through. I will pray that God will give you the strength you need to get through this and that he will give Ryan the strength he needs keep fighting.
    Samantha and Jason Gibbs

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is not the update we were hoping to hear ...
    Our hearts ache for you. We pray for Ryan and all of you constantly. Words simply do not convey what our hearts feel.
    Our love, Wendy and Joe Demty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mike, Loesje, & Cerissa,
    I am following Ryan's course and praying for him everyday.There is so much we do not understand about life. Know that we care and wish we could take this burden from you.
    Love,
    Pat Marinelli & Bill Kelly (Nick Kelly's parents)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mike, Loesje, and Cricket,
    My heart is breaking for you. I pray daily for
    Ryan and especially all of you. It's almost unendurable to imagine what you must be going through. Cricket, you have more courage than anyone I kknow, to be able to keep us posted and write the words you have to write. Love Caryle

    ReplyDelete
  13. please don't give up hope. things can seem so insurmountable sometimes but these are the times when you need to push and pray and hope even harder. you all must be so exhausted, don't forget to let friends and family carry you as much and whenever they can, that's what they're there for.
    love tony a

    ReplyDelete
  14. please know that our thoughts and prayers are always with your family during this tragic time in your life

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ryan, I believe in your strength still... even after all that you have gone through and all that you still have to endure. You can do this and you have an army of people who are waiting to hear your story... from you.

    Mike, Loesje, Cerissa and Brian, these same people that are waiting to hear from Ryan are here for you. You are some of the most amazing people I have ever met and have strength that I did not know possible. I wish I had words for you... you guys are always in my thoughts. I am still hopeful for the greatest recovery and can't even imagine how hard this must be after all that you have been through as well.

    Love and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Cerissa thats horrible..I wish there was something i can do and im sure im not the only one who wants to have any assistance with you and your family..Were prayin everyday here for Ryan.

    Love gary and april c

    ReplyDelete