Friday, March 13, 2009
Ryan Update
The last two days have been extremely difficult for us. Since it has been about 2 weeks since Ryan's accident some of the doctor's have not been optimistic about his prognosis. Some people give us mixed messages and we really do not know what to think or feel at this time. Ryan is still in critical condition and he is not responding to any commands at this point. Basically, they do not not which way Ryan may go and they tend to be pessimistic about his outcome the longer he is in a coma. We will try to remain hopeful but it is very challenging as you can all imagine. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers for Ryan and our family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Uncle Mike, Aunt Loesje, and Cerissa,
ReplyDeleteI can't even begin to image the feelings all of you are going through in Texas right now, just know that you have so much support and love behind you at home. Im thinking of all of you and Ryan every minute. Try to remain postive... miracles happen everyday.
Love,
Shannon
The burden of all this must be unbearable at times. Especially when you're in an unfamiliar place and far from friends.
ReplyDeleteThe fact that you would take time to update us almost daily, in the midst of what you are going through is unbelievable. We are all so grateful to you for keeping in touch.
It's easy to become discouraged when every day is the same as the last. But please remember that it may take a while for Ryan's brain and body to heal from his severe injuries.
Try to take everything one day at a time. Nothing more/nothing less. Don't look too far ahead. You'll feel less overwhelmed. We know this from experience.
If you need ANYTHING, ask for it and consider it done!
We all want to help in any way possible.
Endless prayers and love
Jan and Michael Teehan
Staying positive must be so very draining, but that's your only choice and you are doing it. Those you do not even know are praying for you all.
ReplyDeleteChristine and Steve Dumaresq
just letting you know my family's heart and prayers are with you all....love to you!
ReplyDeletemary richmond
I'm sorry that these past few days have been so difficult. It is hard to stay optimistic when the doctors are not being that way, but just know that the rest of us are hopeful and optimistic and pulling for Ryan every minute. You're doing the best you can right now, and that's all you can do. I'm sending you extra positive energy today.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Alexis
I check this blog daily (often twice daily)to monitor Ryan's progress. He does have youth, a strong family support system and the love of many friends sending prayers and healing thoughts. Know that I am among the many prayer-senders.
ReplyDeleteLove to all,
Sarah Hollister
Thanks for the continued updates - we are pulling for you all. Hang in there - doctors are not right a lot of the time.
ReplyDeleteLove and support,
Jim and Maryanne Morse
i just received a text message telling me to check out this website and i'm completely dumbfounded. i had absolutely no idea what had happened.
ReplyDeletefrom what i know of Ryan, he seems like quite an extraordinary guy and that he, if anyone, has a good shot at getting through something like this.
i'm so very sorry for the unimaginable anxiety and grief you must be feeling right now and i wish that there were something, anything i could do to alleviate your suffering.
please know that i'm here in CT. thinking of the FIVE of you guys and praying for the Good Lord to help all of you find the strength and peace of mind to get through this together.
keep your chins up and try to give Ryan some good vibes so he can enjoy his time of rest. hopefully while you guys are stressing out, he's dreaming about riding his motorcycle through the mountains with a big 'ol smile on his face.
if there's ANYTHING i can do please let me know.
-tony antonelli antonio7476@aol.com
We know that this is such a difficult time for all of you...your faith will bring you strength and prayers are being sent to you by so many! Keep fighting Ryan!!!
ReplyDeleteLove to all,
The Spencer (Babiarz) Family
Many prayers and positive, healing thoughts are being sent from us, our friends, George and Janet, and others near and far. Know that you are loved by all of us. I hope this helps you to remain strong and as you are.
ReplyDeletePositive
Energy
Activates
Constant
Elevation..........PEACE
With Lots of Love, Lende and Bob
Mike ,Loesje and Cerissa, We are praying for Ryan and you every day. Stay in the day and ask for help. We are all here for you. Love, Maureen and Tom
ReplyDeleteThere are miracles everyday and we will keep praying that Ryan is another that pulls through. Stay strong.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Alan and Rebecca, Madelyn & Mason White
We are praying for you Ryan. Be strong bro and pull through this. To Ryans family personally when i got hurt in 97' I went to the Braintree Rehabilitation Network which was phenominal with the best of people for P.T., O.T. etc.
ReplyDeleteLove Gary and April Clarke
wheelz23@comcast.net
Keep thinking positive.
ReplyDeleteKeep feeling hope.
Miracles happen.
Ryan is strong and still fighting to pull through.
I'm thinking of you all. Hang in there.
Thankyou for your time to keep us all updated.
Jodie Z
I have been checking this website every day, and want you all to know that I pray for Ryan and all of you every night. Keep telling him how much he is loved and that he needs to keep fighting. You are all in our thoughts and prayers every day, and I know Ryan will make progress and come back to be the amazing man that he is. I love you all and send all of my prayers to your family. Keith
ReplyDeleteDear Loesje, Mike and Cerissa,
ReplyDeleteOur words seem so empty, but our hearts are full of love for you and Ryan. We check for updates several times a day, hoping and praying to see encouraging news. Ryan has youth on his side and he is surrounded by the love and support of his incrediably wonderful family. Take care of yourselves and eachother . . .
You're in our hearts and prayers,
Love, Wendy and Joe Demty and Family
We love you all so much; I wish I could be there next to you...
ReplyDeletePrayers are powerful
Sue
Dear Mike, Loesje, and Cerissa,
ReplyDeleteMy heart aches for you. Reading the blog everything sounds so familiar. Please be encouraged. Laura was in a coma for 3 and a half weeks. Bob woodruff, the reporter wounded in iraq was in a coma for 36 days. We had 2 gentlemen visit us who had been in coma's longer and are now doing well. They told us not to listen to the doctors. one particular day a nurse was explaining a procedure they were going to do on Laura and i could feel myself going down and down as she continued. After that my friend Mary and i prayed that the Lord would give me eyes to see and ears to hear only what He would have me see and hear. After that I gleaned the hope from what the doctors said. I could only handle one day at a time, sometimes only 5 minutes at a time always clinging to psalm 118. Holding you all close to my heart and in my prayers.
Love
Sue Murphy
P.S. I found it easier to be with Laura in the ICU if i read to her. I felt she could hear my voice, i was relaxed and could stay longer.
Our thoughts and prayers are around you everyday.
ReplyDeleteRyan has way too much left to do with his life, he will come back soon... I have heard so many miracles... I truly believe Ryan will be one of them. Love and strength to you Mike, Loesje and Cerissa.
JC & Jo-Ann
I am sad to hear the doctor's are being pessimistic but they don't know Ryan! He can pull through and be a case they talk about in the future as a miracle!
ReplyDeleteLove you guys! Stay strong!
Dear Michael, Loesje, and Cerrisa:
ReplyDeleteI have words of hope for you, as that is all I have to give but may they give you some sense of direction at a time when there is so much information flying at you.
When I was 19, as you may recall my story told before, I was in and out of a coma for 1 month in critical condition with a massive head injury from a car accident, and then in the hospital for 2 more months as my body recovered. I remember that period vividly and want to share my experience because it may help Ryan. And it may help you.
I liken the coma period to being stuck in an automobile with the windows rolled up, the engine shut down (no keys to operate it), and 4 flat tires. I was on the inside and I could “see” people as they would come up to the window and stare in at me. I could hear them but they could not hear me. I would “say”: “why are you talking to me this way”, “why can’t you hear me?”. I remember this like it was yesterday and that was 40 years ago.
I believe with so much trauma that the body shuts down. There is too much pain and it is overwhelming for all the electrical and mechanical systems. But I do not believe the soul or the essence of the being goes anywhere at this point. I believe the physical body is a vehicle, like an automobile, and mine had no electricity for me to roll down the windows, or move along down the road. It needed time to repair. But more importantly, was the fact that I was in there, I was listening, I had to be part of my awakening, as did my family and my friends.
So this experience gave me the belief that constant touch from the “world outside my window”, expressions of love, but most importantly, conversations to keep me in the present world were very, very important. Talking to me, not in the 3rd person, made me part of the conversation, part of the life that I knew and wanted to return to. It kept me where I needed to be, in my body, present, and moving towards consciousness. I had to be reminded, on occasion, to come out, to respond. Asking questions and telling stories, bringing me current news about friends and family and who was doing what, kept me engaged… there in the present, where I needed to be.
I know there is so much medical stuff that you are being hammered with right now but to stay in the human world, we must feel others with us. Don’t let the doctor’s take away your hope or turn it to some grim reality.
But please know this, I was a miracle, so I believe in miracles. At the end of it all, I had a new face, I had to learn to walk and speak again, but you know me today, and you know that I survived and I thrived.
I will pray to my patron saint, St. Jude for you and Ryan. Ryan can do this… and so can you. It isn’t time yet… it simply isn’t.
All my love, from the essence of my being, goes to you right now. Linda (Brunini-Formica) 401 529-0197, LBrunini@earthlink.net
Beautifully written, Linda for all of us to hold our belief in remaining positive for Ryan. Thank you! Much love, Lende
ReplyDeleteall my thoughts and paryers are with you guys rayn stay strong.thanks for the updates i check everyday. bill walsh
ReplyDeleteI knew Ryan for a brief time in Middle School. I'm in nursing school right now and witnessed a coma patient last week wake up after a month and a half. The one thing our instructors tell us continually with coma patients is to talk to them, and touch them. Many of them have had experiences of their patients waking up and saying so you were the voice and as a nurse you want to be a nice voice. Keep talking to him. Play him music, read him newspapers, books, and magazines. Hearing is the last sense to go. And by simulating that it can create the brain to start working again. I am so sorry to hear about this. I do have great memories of Ryan from Middle School and I'm sure he has turned into an incredible man.
ReplyDeleteNicolette Walker
Lets all think positive! I know it must be so hard for everyone to think of Ryan opening his eyes again BUT I know if everyone prays and thinks positive, things will happen. I think of you all every minute! Now, is not the time to be pessimistic, lets pray together. love you, corrie curran :)
ReplyDeletecorriecurran@hotmail.com
774-238-9961
xxxooo
Dear Loesje and Family
ReplyDeleteI have just learned of Ryan's accident. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Joanne Joyce
Dear Loesje,Ryan, Mike and Cerissa, I know it must be so difficult right now, receiving mixed messages and not knowing what to think.It must be incredibly hard to remain strong, but don't give up. Prayers of love and hope are prayed by so many everyday and night for Ryan to pull through. It just takes time. Just as many prayers are prayed for you to hold on to hope and stay strong. Loesje, I sleep with a special prayer stone that my Mom gave to me in my hands every night. When I wake up in the night I say another prayer for you all. May the power of prayer give you renewed strength each day. Love you, Neely Mundell
ReplyDeleteLoesje-
ReplyDeleteWe are thinking and praying for you and your family everday. Kelley askes for an up date every night. You are in both our hearts. Take it one day at a time.
Kim Fitzgerald