Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Wed Update

Not much changed today for Ryan. They ran tests because of his temp but they did not find anything, which is good I guess. My folks are busy everyday trying to stimulate Ryan in as many ways as possible, music, exercises (the PT and OT people taught them), scents, etc...if you have any good ideas for stimulation please let us know.

12 comments:

  1. Hey Cric,
    Maybe a blanket from your parent's house. Overnight it in a airtight luggage bag. Perhaps that would still hold it's scent. I don't know maybe a fresh peeled orange,lotion he may have used, broadcast sport games on the radio, maybe play his playlist he listens to while he works out. Maybe some sand - the sensation in his hand may trigger familiarity. Read the sports page. These are just some ideas, you obviously know I do not have an educational background in OT but perhaps some of these things could help. If you want me to send something from here, please let me know. Love you all, Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found nd this site on stimulation. another site I read also mentioned audio books if he was interested in a certain book. I saw he really enjoyed bikes. Maybe a recording of the engine revving?

    http://calder.med.miami.edu/pointis/tbifam/coma2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I just spoke with the head of OT here at work for some tips...She suggests limiting guests to 2 at a time. One voice at a time is all that should be heard - music is good but TV may be too much stimulation. Try to tlak about current events to orient him to time and place. Also ask to meet with PT, OT and even Speech and ask for suggestions for when you are alone with him. Try cinnamon, vanilla for scents - soft terry cloth, or soft materials for tactile - not only on hands but face if possible.
    Hope this helps,
    Mary (Fougere) Jarvis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Creedens,
    Someone made a tape for my while I was in a coma and I actually recall listening to "Knights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues which, although it was in the same genre, was not a song I had listened to previously. I am not sure if the beat of the music was a good rhythm to stimulate my brain or what...because I don't remember much from that time period, however I can recall that song pretty vividly. I hope this helps!
    -Laura Murphy Almas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I just spoke with a friend and read her what I had written. She reminded me of a book that my mom would read to me in the coma. It was called "Grandma's Attic" and my mom use to read it to me before I went to bed while in grade school. After having her remind me, I do recall my mother's voice reading that familiar story to me while I was in the hospital. I know people have said it before, but things that are familiar to him will probably be the most helpful to him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about the sound of motorcycles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if Ryan might react or be stimulated by the sounds of his friends and extended family members re-telling Ryan about events they shared together via recordings that you can play and re-play?

    Jan Teehan

    ReplyDelete
  8. If he has a pet like a dog or a cat, you could show it to him and he might recognize it. Also if he plays a instrument, you could give it to him or show it to him. Maybe he has a old stuffed animal from when he was a kid? that might make him feel more at home. You could also give him his cell phone. You can tell him what happened and that he is in the hospital and that the doctors are there to help him because he might be confused about where he is and why he's in the hospital right now. Well, these are just s few idea1s! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A few more thoughts. Not sure how you'll feel about alternative therapies, but maybe you should consider Reiki and/or acupuncture. Can someone in the Hospital (OT/PT) recommend qualified/certified people? It's amazing therapy and works wonders! Kept me pain free during chemotherapy. My oncologist recommended it.
    I have a friend in Sandwich who is a Reiki Master. When you get back here, I'm sure she'd be glad to help.
    Jan Teehan

    ReplyDelete
  10. your house in Sharon always had such a distinct smell. when i went to visit your parents in the Cape last year, i immediately recognized the very pleasant and soothing smell. i'm not sure what it is or if it's just one thing or a combination of things or how you could duplicate it but i'd bet Ryan would recognize it anywhere.
    as a carpenter and general outdoorsy type he may also appreciate the smell of some fresh cut wood or grass clippings.
    i realize i'm really reaching but just want to help.
    God Bless.
    -tony

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Creedons,
    We are so sorry to hear about Ryan. He and Jodie went together for a long time. I have everyone that I know praying for him. My mom suggested that voices that he is familiar with should be recorded and played for him. We are really hoping and praying for him...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know i would love to hear the bark of my dog!!! Dogs definatly have a special part in the owners life!! ????? just an idea!! t. johnson

    ReplyDelete